Need some December social media ideas? This article is packed for Social Media Holidays throughout the entire month of December. Now you have all the content you need for social media videos, GIFs and more!
BY DONNA MORITZ | SEPTEMBER 15, 2020
Posts on this blog may contain affiliate links, which means we receive a small commission at no cost to you, if you purchase through a link.
We’ve packed this post with national and international holidays for 31 Days of December. And just for fun, we’ve also included some quirky and unusual days of celebration throughout December too. All the ideas you need!
And we’ve added in some weekly and monthly ideas for good measure. And don’t forget to check out the tools and ideas at the end of the post – perfect for creating visual content. We attempt to keep this post updated annually but suggest you check all dates for validity as some may be missed.
What’s Included with Your December Social Media Ideas
What to expect in this post packed with December Social Media Ideas:
- your quick reference guide (and handy infographic) for helping you find social media ideas and holidays for the month of December.
- November social media ideas – including how to create and share the content. Please note that these posts are designed to focus primarily on social video and GIFs. However, you can use most of the ideas for creating images too.
- A list of bonus tools and resources to help you create social media holiday posts. Yes, we’ve got you covered for #AllTheHolidays!
Check out the monthly social media ideas posts in this series:
- 60+ January Social Media Holidays – Videos, GIFs and More
- 60+ February Social Media Holidays – Videos, GIFs and More
- 60+ March Social Media Holidays – Videos, GIFs and More
- 60+ April Social Media Holidays – Videos, GIFs and More
- 60+ May Social Media Holidays – Videos, GIFs and More
- 60+ June Social Media Holidays – Videos, GIFs and More
- 60+ July Social Media Holidays – Videos, GIFs and More
- 60+ August Social Media Holidays – Videos, GIFs and More
- 60+ September Social Media Holidays – Videos, GIFs and More
- 60+ October Social Media Holidays – Videos, GIFs and More.
- 60+ November Social Media Holidays – Videos, GIFs and More.
Tips for Quickly Creating December Content
Creating your December content doesn’t have to take a lot of time. If you schedule ahead, you can really streamline the process. The following suggestions should help and you’ll find it soooo much easier if you have a schedule sorted out ahead of time.
Aim to get a whole month’s worth of content ready – all of your December social media ideas wrapped into posts – scheduled, prepped, and ready to go. Use these video content tips:
- Use templates to help you: the majority of visual content tools come with templates to help you create. Don’t be afraid to use them. You CAN design content from a bare canvas, but why would you if you can take advantage of templates? It’s the best way to go for non-designers to create pro-quality content. All you need to do is edit and customize the design. It’s best if you focus on one or two elements. This could be the text, photo/image, video, fonts or colors. Avoid changing too many elements at once or you’ll ruin the design.
- Batch it, baby! Don’t just create one image or video or GIF at a time… do more than one at once. Batching is so much more efficient vs doing it one-by-one. And you’ve already opened up the design tool, so why not do more than one while it’s there for you to use!
- Try creating social videos – Start out simply and create short social videos of 15-30 seconds. Then do longer videos from there, once you feel confident.
- Get to know your audience. What do they like to watch? to engage with? Is it how-to content, or handy tips or questions? Or maybe they like good old fun, observational humour!
- Use GIFs to add fun and personality – You’ll find millions of GIFs in Giphy’s huge online library. Or create your own! GIFs can add a lot of personality to different mediums. From social media posts, to emails, blog posts, messages and more. And remember that if you share Giphy GIFs directly from Giphy, give credit to the creator and tag them.
Use this quick reference guide your December content. Share it now or save it for later reference. Or save it to Pinterest!
How to use these December Social Media Ideas
- Create a video about the holiday or date in question – it could be a how-to video or a video of fun facts or a list video, tutorial or quote video. You’re only limited by your imagination! Is it National Cookie Day? Share your favourite recipe via video using one of the tools listed below.
- Create some fun GIFs based on the holiday you’re posting about. Or you can make it easier for you and share one from the Giphy library.
- Create images around the holiday date – create memes, quotes or images that reflect the day in question. Don’t be afraid to add a quote overlay.
Note: This post contains suggestions for December. We can’t include holidays world location so it is focused mainly on Australian and US-based holidays. Use this guide to start with and add your own calendar of local events.
Let’s dive into our December content!
For each day of December we’ve included one “day” or holiday for every day in December. We’ve also suggested the following to go with your December social media ideas: hashtags, tips, tools, and resources for you to make it easier for you to create and share the content.
1. World Aids Day – to raise awareness around the world and in the community about issues surrounding AIDS and HIV. Use the hashtag #WAD2019 and find out more here.
2. International Day for the Abolition of Slavery – it marks the date of the adoption of this first Convention to fight human trafficking by the United Nations General Assembly.
3. International Day of People with Disability – use the hashtag #IDPWD. Held annually on 3rd December.
4. National Cookie Day – Is there a national cookie day? Yes, there is. Use the hashtag #NationalCookieDay. And what list of December social media ideas would be complete without mention of Christmas cookies?
5. World Soil Day – A day held by the United Nations to raise awareness around the importance of sustaining healthy ecosystems and human well-being. So much relies on healthy soil, especially our food supply. And with one soccer field of soil eroded every 5 seconds, it’s an important issue.
It’s also National Rhubarb Vodka Day! Held on the first Saturday in November.
6. St Nicholas Day – this day is observed in Western Christian countries to celebrate St Nicholas the third-century saint who sold all his possessions and gave his money to the poor. Not to be confused with Christmas, the tradition involves leaving gifts in shoes (or stockings) or the exchange of small gifts.
7. National Cotton Candy Day – created as far back as the 1400s, spun sugar or cotton candy is a sugary treat still enjoyed by the young and young at heart alike. It’s celebrated annually on December 7th.
It’s also National Rhubarb Vodka Day, National Pearl Harbour Remembrance Day and National Civial Aviation Day.
8. Pretend to be a Time Traveler Day – held annually on December 8th, this day is a bit of fun around the idea of time travel. Use the hashtag #PretendtoBeATimeTravelerDay.
It’s also National Chocolate Brownie Day. Not that we need a reason.
9. National Pastry Day – Today is all about Pastry in the United States. A great day to eat, share and post about pastries. Bon Appetit! And I don’t even know where to begin with how good these recipes look… some of them perfect for December. No 2… OMG!
It’s also Christmas Card Day. A tradition started back in 1843 when the first commercial Christmas card was created in England by Sir Henry Cole (a civil servant responsible for the idea of sending greetings on a card to send good cheer).
10. Human Rights Day – another United Nations Day to bring us together to stand up for equality, justice and human dignity around the world. Use the hashtag #HumanRightsDay.
It’s also Nobel Prize Day – Observed annually on December 10th, to commemorate the day that Alfred Nobel signed his third and last will at the Swedish-Norwegian Club in Paris. Use #NobelPrize
And it’s Dewey Decimal System Day. It’s the birthday of Melvil Dewey (1851-1931) who is the inventor of the Dewey Decimal system of library classification.
Also… Hannukah Begins – In 2020 Hannukah begins on December 10th and ends on the evening of Friday 18th December.
11. International Mountain Day – share your favorite Mountain Photos and use #InternationalMountainDay.
Or share some mountain-peak inspiration on your Instagram Stories with one of Pepsi Summergram’s GIF Stickers) – search under #mountain #pepsi.
Side note, can we talk about how it’s cool that Pepsi are embracing GIFs and creating GIFs that their audience can use to tell stories during summer with their Pepsi Summergam Account.
12. Gingerbread House Day – Start creating your Gingerbread House before Christmas. We couldn’t resist adding anything gingerbread related to our list of December social media ideas.
13. It’s National Cocoa Day and National Violin Day.
14. International Monkey Day – in celebration of cheeky monkeys around the world.
It’s also Free Shipping Day. As we head into another holiday season this one could be handy! Free Shipping Day is a one-day promotional event that takes place anually on the 14th December. Find out more here.
Oh, and it’s also Roast Chestnuts Day if roasting Chestnuts is your kind of thing!
15. International Tea Day – observed annually on December 15th since 20015 where it originated in tea-growing and tea-drinking countries like Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Nepal, India and Kenya.
After travelling in the tea plantations of Munnar, in Kerala India, I love the varieties and versatility of tea:
It’s also National Cupcake Day and Bill of Rights Day.
16. National Chocolate Covered Anything Day – Now this is a chocolatey holiday we can get behind! Do we really need a reason to add it to our December social media ideas?
17. Wright Brothers Day – Post about all things flight today as this is the day to remember the Wright Brothers and their contribution to our ability to fly! It celebrates the day Orville and Wilbur Wright flew for the first time on December 17, 1903 outside of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina.
It’s also National Maple Syrup Day. The bestie of pancakes everywhere.
18. Answer the Telephone like Buddy the Elf Day – One of the most hilarious days on any of these lists… and perhaps the most bizarre of our December social media ideas. If you’ve seen the movie Elf you’ll know what this is all about, or watch this video:
It’s also International Migrants Day (another United Nations Day) and Bake Cookies Day.
On the 3rd Friday in December, Ugly Christmas Sweater Day is also celebrated in countries where it’s a little cooler right now! This year that falls on December 20th. Oh and there’s a whole website dedicated to it. In Australia, we wear Christmas T-shirts as it’s a little too hot for sweaters!
19. Today is Oatmeal Muffin Day. If you feel like baking muffins, go Oatmeal!
20. National Sangria Day – Enjoy the fruity deliciousness of a Sangria on this fine day! #SangriaDay
Share your favorite recipe or maybe 4 of them:
It’s also Go Caroling Day.
Side note: In Australia, it’s more like “Ugly Christmas T-shirts” – it’s hot here in December.
21. Crossword Puzzle Day – use #CrosswordPuzzleDay
22. Abilities Day is today and it’s also National Cookie Exchange Day. Yes for those who don’t live in the US, exchanging tins of Christmas Cookies is a thing!
23. Roots Day – Recognised in the United States, it’s a day to look into our heritage, families, family history and ancestry. Find your roots! And for the Seinfeld fans… today is Festivus.
24. National Eggnog Day – The Christmas Traditions continue #NationalEggnogDay
And of course Christmas Eve has to be on our list of December Social Media Ideas. Break out the Christmas Carols.. and the egg nog. Search for #eggnog on your Instagram Story Stickers and you’ll find gems like this one from T2 Tea:
25. Christmas Day – We wish you a Merry Christmas. Schedule ahead a Christmas post, video or two!
26. Boxing Day – is a secular holiday celebrated the day after Christmas. It originalted in the United Kingdom and is celebrated in a number of other countries in the Commonwealth, including Australia where it is a public holiday.
27. Visit the Zoo Day – a day designed to promote locals to visit their local Zoo. It’s also National Fruitcake Day.
28. Card Playing Day – As someone who has fond memories of playing cards throughout summer and around Christmas as a kid… this seems like a great time to have a Card Playing Day! #CardPlayingDay
29. Tick Tock Day – No, it’s not a day for jumping on the socail media app, Tic Tok, but rather a reminder that Tick Tock, it’s almost the end of the year. And this year it’s the end of the decade. Can you believe it?
30. Today is apparently Bacon Day in some parts of the world – Also celebrated on 31st August, but we figure… why not have two days (or more!) to celebrate Bacon! Use #baconday.
31. New Year’s Eve – Who doesn’t love celebrating New Year’s Eve! Held annually on 31st December, 2019. But you already knew that!
And because it’s NYE, it’s also Champagne Day.
and … a Happy New Year to you too!
December Social Media Ideas and Holidays – Calendar Weeks and Months
Use this list of December social media ideas for month-long and week-long holidays:
- Human Rights Week – 9th to 15th December
- National Handwashing Awareness Week – first full week of December
- Disability Action Week – 13th to 19th December, 2020
- Human Rights Month
- National Stress-Free Family Holiday Month
- National Write a Business Plan Month
- National Pear Month
- National Write a Friend Month
Get More Video Ideas – 99 of them!
Download my free guide to 99 video ideas!
You’ll never run out of video ideas with this guide in your pocket. Grab it here to continue your video content creation:
Try using these tools to help you:
1. Types of videos to create
Not sure what videos to create? Try some of these to use with our list of December social media ideas:
2. Video Creation Tools
Try some of these tools for creating easy video:
Canva – create quick animations using Canva’s MP3 animation tool. Now you can upload video or access video stock footage to add to templates and designs too.
Wave.video – This is one of my favourite video tools for creating short, social video.
Animoto – another great video creation tool. It has drag-and-drop functionality making it really easy to create a pro-quality video.
Over – Over has awesome video templates for creating cool social graphics based on video.
Giphy – Giphy gives you loads of GIF inspiration to add personality to your content. You can create your own GIFs or share direct from Giphy.
Want more Social Media Content Calendar ideas?
Check out our complete 12-month calendar for 2020 in this post:
Over to You
What strategies and tools are your favorite for creating videos. Get started with our calendar!
Donna is a Visual Content Strategist and founder of Socially Sorted, listed by Forbes as a “Top 5 Social Media Blog You Need to Know About in 2019”. Donna helps brands leverage the power of visual storytelling and content strategy in their business. Her content has been featured in publications such as Forbes and Entrepreneur Online and she is a contributor to Social Media Examiner. Donna speaks about digital and visual content for the marketing and tourism industries internationally.